Learn to Fly – Overview

Welcome to Aerostar Aviation, and congratulations on taking your first steps towards becoming a pilot. We take this opportunity to assure you that our approach to your training will always be professional, thus guaranteeing you the maximum benefit from the time spent with us.


Aerostar Aviation is a CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) approved training organisation, providing the highest standard of instruction. Based at Parafield Airport, north of Adelaide, we offer the ideal training location, as it allows pilots to fly in controlled airspace with student friendly air traffic controllers.

We operate in conjunction with a maintenance organisation, ensuring that aircraft “down time” is kept to a minimum. Equally important, the presence of the engineering facility gives you the opportunity to learn more about the aircraft while you are on the ground.


Trial Introductory Flight

An introductory flight provides prospective students with the opportunity to see how it feels to be a pilot and take the controls of our training aircraft. During the lesson the instructor will guide you through the pre-flight inspection and explain how the aircraft’s controls and instruments work. If you feel comfortable, you will actually do most of the flying yourself. Once you’ve decided that this is for you, the trial introductory flight will count towards your Private Pilots Licence.


The Training Aircraft

At the flying school, your training will be completed on Cessna 172 aircraft. This aircraft has proven itself for many decades at flying schools worldwide and are extremely reliable. Should you wish to train on your own aircraft, or learn to fly another type of aircraft, chat to us and we will gladly accommodate where we can.

Once you decide to continue with your training you will need to apply to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) for an Aviation Reference Number (ARN), a flight medical and an Aviation Security Identity Card (ASIC). You may start your training without these items, but you will require them before you are able to do any solo flying, which is roughly 15-20 hours into your training.

In the following order you will need;


  • An Aviation Reference Number (ARN). The form can be found at www.casa.gov.au » manuals and forms » Form 1162
  • A Class 1 or 2 medical certificate from a Designated Aviation Medical Examiner (DAME). Class 2 medicals are required for private pilots and Class 1 medicals are required for Commercial Pilots. A list of DAMEs for your area can be found at www.casa.gov.au » Operations » Individuals » Medical Certification
  • For the Recreational Pilots licence RPL, you only require a Recreational Aviation Medical Practitioner Certificate (RAMPC) from your local GP.
  • A security check for an Aviation Security Identity Card (ASIC). For further information and for the forms for applying for the ASIC can be found at www.casa.gov.au » Operations » Individuals » ASIC and AVID » Application for Aviation Security Check » Form 498

You will also need to be:


  • Fluent in English and
  • At least 15 years old

Before your first solo flight, you will be required to pass the pre-solo theory exam, and before your first area solo flight, you will be required to pass the pre-area solo theory exam. These exams cover the basics in air-law, procedures, aerodynamics and aircraft general knowledge, and are conducted at the flying school by your instructor. It is strongly recommended that you purchase a student pilot study kit in order to prepare for these exams; your instructor can introduce you to this, and they are available for purchase at the flying school.