Learn To Fly - Overview

Aerostar Aviation is a CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) approved training organisation, providing the highest standard of instruction. Based at Parafield Airport, north of Adelaide, we offer the ideal training location, as it allows pilots to fly in controlled airspace with student friendly air traffic controllers.

The Aero-Star Group includes a maintenance company, ensuring that aircraft “down time” is kept to a minimum. Equally important, the presence of the engineering facility gives you the opportunity to learn more about the aircraft while you are on the ground.

Flight training will be completed in our Cessna 172 aircraft initially. This aircraft has proven itself for many decades at flying schools worldwide and are extremely reliable. Should you wish to train on your own aircraft, or learn to fly another type of aircraft, chat to us and we will gladly accommodate where we can.

We also assure that our approach to your training will always be professional, thus guaranteeing you the maximum benefit from the time spent with us.

Trial Introductory Flight

An introductory flight provides prospective students with the opportunity to see how it feels to be a pilot and take the controls of our training aircraft. During the lesson the instructor will guide you through the pre-flight inspection and explain how the aircraft’s controls and instruments work. If you feel comfortable, you will actually do most of the flying yourself. Once you’ve decided that this is for you, the trial introductory flight will count towards your Private Pilots Licence.


Once you decide to continue with your training you will need to apply to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) for an Aviation Reference Number (ARN), a flight medical and an Aviation Security Identity Card (ASIC). You may start your training without these items, but you will require them before you are able to do any solo flying, which is roughly 15-20 hours into your training.

In the following order you will need;

  • An Aviation Reference Number (ARN). The form can be found at www.casa.gov.au » manuals and forms » Form 1162
  • A Class 1 or 2 medical certificate from a Designated Aviation Medical Examiner (DAME). Class 2 medicals are required for private pilots and Class 1 medicals are required for Commercial Pilots. A list of DAMEs for your area can be found at www.casa.gov.au » Operations » Individuals » Medical Certification
  • For the Recreational Pilots licence RPL, you only require a Recreational Aviation Medical Practitioner Certificate (RAMPC) from your local GP.
  • A security check for an Aviation Security Identity Card (ASIC). For further information and for the forms for applying for the ASIC can be found at www.casa.gov.au » Operations » Individuals » ASIC and AVID » Application for Aviation Security Check » Form 498

You will also need to be:

  • Fluent in English and
  • At least 15 years old

Before your first solo flight, you will be required to pass the pre-solo theory exam, and before your first area solo flight, you will be required to pass the pre-area solo theory exam. These exams cover the basics in air-law, procedures, aerodynamics and aircraft general knowledge, and are conducted at the flying school by your instructor. It is strongly recommended that you purchase a student pilot study kit in order to prepare for these exams; your instructor can introduce you to this, and they are available for purchase at the flying school.

Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL)

Some students choose to achieve the RPL prior to achieving their PPL. Pilots who have their RPL may:

  • Fly solo in the circuit area or the designated training area with only one passenger
  • Fly only Day VFR private operations in a single engine aircraft.

To be eligible, applicants must:

  • Have at least 25 hours flight time which must include 5 solo hours
  • Pass an RPL theory exam
  • Pass a flight test;
  • Have a current Recreational Aviation Medical Practitioner Certificate
  • Be at least 16 years of age.

Private Pilot Licence (PPL)

This will allow you to fly to destinations within Australia during daylight hours for pleasure or for personal transportation. Training can be conducted on a casual or full time basis, depending on your time and situation

Private Pilot Licence training is divided into two phases:

General Flying

This part of the syllabus teaches the basic flying skills and theoretical knowledge necessary to fly solo with passengers from your base aerodrome and within the training area.

Navigation Training

This is conducted as a series of cross-country navigation exercises, and these flights are designed to develop the confidence and skills necessary to become a Private Pilot.

Before you can attempt a Private Pilot Licence practical test (PPL Test), you must have a minimum of 40 hours of aeronautical experience, which must include the following:

  • at least 10 hours of general flight time as pilot in command, of which at least 5 hours is cross country flight time as pilot in command
  • at least 2 hours of instrument flight time

You must also have achieved a pass in the CASA PPL Theory Exam (70% Pass Mark). Your instructor can assist you with arrangements for sitting this exam, which may be conducted at the flying school.

The practical flight test is conducted by a CASA approved testing officer.

To qualify to hold Private Pilot licence, you are required to;

  • Have an ARN
  • Hold a Class 1 or 2 medical certificate, or a Recreational Aviation Medical Practitioner Certificate
  • Hold or be qualified to hold a flight radiotelephone operator’s licence
  • Pass a security check (ASIC)
  • Be at least 17 years old and
  • Be fluent in English

Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL)

If you wish to pursue a career as a Pilot or you wish to take your flying to a higher level, then you may choose to train for your Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL). The syllabus includes a series of lessons structured to hone your skills and knowledge and to develop a commercial attitude towards your flying. All are prerequisites to passing a CPL test and improving your employment prospects.

Our 200 hour course is structured to maximise flexibility, allowing students to go at their own pace through the syllabus. Our aircraft may be hired by students in order to achieve the required minimum 100 hours in command.

The Commercial Pilot Licence course involves a significant theory component, comprising seven theory subjects with an examination required for each subject. Subjects include Aerodynamics, Aircraft General Knowledge, Air Law, Human Factors, Navigation, Meteorology, Performance and Flight Planning. Exams are conducted by a private company and booked online. Theory studies may be completed as self-study but attendance at specific courses is a good option for many students, and your instructor can discuss options with you.

A Commercial Pilot Licence will be issued after you have passed all of the written theory examinations, and a practical flight test with a CASA approved testing officer.

To be eligible to hold a CPL, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age when the commercial licence is issued but training may commence prior.
  • Pass a security check (ASIC)
  • Hold a class 1 medical certificate.
  • Hold or be qualified to hold a flight radiotelephone operators licence